Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Peerless transformers

  1. #1
    Inactive Member tzurby's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 3rd, 2005
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Are there any information on Peerless (=Altec?) transformers? I got an Altec 525A power supply for a 175A/29A tube microphone. Unfortunately, the input transformer (Peerless 4665) is missing. I wonder whether there are replacements (of equal quality). I once saw a 525A power supply with a (green) 4722 transformer. Would this work also. It seems, these are not as rare as 4665 transformers.

    Thanks
    Ulrich

  2. #2
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ulrich,

    According to the early and later versions of the literature for the 1569A amps, the 15095(A) is the recommended successor to the 4655. The pinout is the same also, so it's a simple plug-in-and-go. The 4655 fetches big pricetags, due to its' +/- 1db flat response from 20-20khz. The 15095, while certainly no slouch regarding performance, begins to roll off at 30Hz on the low end. The 15095 varies from the 15095A only in ground configuration, but your application could use either. Some online "guru" must have praised the attributes of these xfmrs for use in matching phono stages, triggering scores of tweak-freaks and mod-gods to buy them, hence the current prices. Unfortuneately, many of the buyers lack the skills needed to implement their use, so many end up on the show-and-tell shelf, as a looky-what-I-got trophy, leaving those of us who need them for their intended use taking out a second mortage.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member tzurby's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 3rd, 2005
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello bfisch

    Thanks so much for your response. Those 15095(A) transformers seem to be much easier to find. I have got a pair 175A microphones, but without power supplies (they feature AKG CK1 capsules, but have a different thread, so they cannot be used with AKG C60s). Then I got one power supply. It had the 4665. Then there was another pair of 525A power supplies. I won the auction - but forgot to ask whether there are the 4665 inside. I thought, they always are included. And I had no idea of any value for these transformers.
    I am sure I will get a pair of 15095A transformers easily and for a good price. If they offer, say, 40-18kHz, that's O.K.
    Thanks
    Ulrich

  4. #4
    Inactive Member skipwave's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 3rd, 2005
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have to chime in here, and agree that the prices of these transformers has gotten out of control. I've wanted a 4722 for some time, but never been able to justify the expense.

    I do have two 15095A's and they are excellent for mic to grid useage.

    You do have to watch those eBay items, since they don't always have the necessary transformers. I recently acquired a Bogen MXM-A (similar to the Altec 1567a). I saw one listed on eBay, but when I contacted the seller I found out that it had none of the it's transformers. I ended up getting it for half the price from www.classicaudio.com.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.